Monday, July 30, 2012

126 வயதுடைய மனிதர் KOKRAJHAR லிருந்து அஸ்ஸாமின் அமைதிக்காக வேண்டுகின்றார், இறைவனை!


KOKRAJHAR: Unbelievable as it may seem, through the last century, Jagat Mushahary has seen his land change from a peaceful place to a violence-ravaged one where ethnic killings are not uncommon. Aged 126 years as per his ID card, Mushahary - perhaps the oldest man in a relief camp in the world - has seen all the ethnic clashes in the Bodo heartland.

Even though Guinness Book Of World Recordssays that the verified oldest man in the world is a 115-year-old Japanese an identity card issued to Mushahary by the Village Defence Party, he was born on December 25, 1886, at Silapara, Bilasipara in Dhubri district, where the Muslim involvement in the current clashed is reported to have started.

"My father, Naokha Mushahary, was a labourer and he lived till 135 years. We migrated to Dotoma Majulipara (now in Kokrajhar district) and there, while in school, I saw Mahatma Gandhi. That was in 1947," he said.

He believes that the current violence, which is more of a religious war than an ethnic clash, is different from the ones in the past. "The clashes in the past, particularly with the Santhals, were different. I remember the Santhals talking of a war to confirm their place in this land," Mushahary said. The Bodos clashed with Santhals twice - in 1996 and 1998.

He regrets not being young enough today to help change the mindset of the people to shun violence and embrace peace. "At this age, I do not want to find out why these clashes occurred. But I am certain about one thing -if we cannot respect people and their religion, we can never understand what peace is all about," he said over the his lunch of rice, dal, mixed vegetables and pieces of lemon and green chilly served on a paper plate at the Vidyapeeth relief camp in Salbagan.
Mushahary, his wife Maloti, and others from his village at Santahiabri at Bengtol in Chirang district were put in trucks on July 21 by unknown people and brought to this relief camp 70km away. "There was no trouble at our village. Ours is a mixed population of 175 families of both Bodos and Muslims. But we heard rumours that the Bangalis (as Bengali-speaking Muslims are referred to in this part) were killing Bodos," he said.

His wife goaded him that their friendly Muslim neighbour had tried to hack them to death, but Mushahary refused to lie and rebuked his wife for forcing him to do so. "I have never told a lie in my life. I am saying there was no trouble in our village. The Bangalis and the Bodos in our village live like brothers." What are the changes that he has seen in his lifetime? "I have seen co-existence of all people and the change that I see now is the violence, which I cannot understand."

He even turns to his wife and other villagers near him and says, "Bodo or Muslim, we are all human beings and there is no difference. I have read the Geeta and so also the Quran. I think I was destined to go through what I am seeing today." Mushahary now is in a hurry to go back home. "I have got some unfinished work in my tamul bagan (betel nut field). The day they allow us to go back I am, I will not remain in the camp. I think in another three, four days we all can return home."

THANKS: TIMES OF INDIA 30-07-2012

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Kindly post a comment.